Sunday, January 10

The First Tales From Texas

First off, here in Texas:

Safeway/Winco=H.E.B (they're everywhere!)
San Marcos=pronounced San Marcus (with the southern drawl of course)
Blanco=the name of my dorm hall, also the name of a nearby city, pronounced Blank-O (haha)
Hobby Lobby=I just like the name of this one, its like Michael's, but bigger (duh it's texas!)
**EVERYONE says ya'll, no matter how strong their accent.
Supposedly people are gonna think I'm a crazy person when I say "you guys"

More of that to come in later posts I'm sure...

Day 1: I'm not counting the night I arrived because all I did was pass out on the bed. My first real day here was Thursday the 7th. Went to the campus, and met my tx state exchange coordinator. Went to a bunch of the offices, asked questions and got some things figured out. Drove all around campus, found my dorm and both dining hall and the rec center right next to it! We drove around San Marcos and that combined with the 5 of 6 times we've driven through it on the way to somewhere else, I have gotten somewhat acquainted with where things are and what direction they are in relation to the campus. Pictures to come soon. We also drove around New Braunfels, which is a very German town, still strong in its culture. Location of the famous annual Wurstfest. Also home to Schlitterbahn, the largest water park in the country. Definitely going to check that one out!

Day 2: Slept in late again. It was a chill day. Actually very chilly in temperature too. Since I got here, it's been colder than it has been in 20 years. It's been getting down to the teens over night and not much more than the high 30's during the day. Went to Costco on the edge of San Antonio and took my first shopping trip to H.E.B. They feed me very well here :)

Day 3: Went to San Antonio and met up with some other cousins. We went to the Institute of Texan Cultures. Basically a museum/exhibit about all the different cultures that settled in Texas. There's a lot. It was really interesting. Then we drove around downtown and went by the Alamo, and drove by the River Walk, which actually doesn't have any water in it right now because it's being cleaned. So I will be exploring that more later. Saw dozens of Air Force guys in uniform downtown there. Mmhmm! :P

Day 4: Slept in once again, but not so late this time. We went to Austin and met up with my cousin April, Connie and Oscar's daughter, and her husband. Got a manicure with April and then we all went to a late lunch. Was hoping we would go explore in the city more, but I have plenty of time for that. Really looking forward to Tuesday, when I check in and move into my dorm. Earlier this week I found my roommates on facebook and have been chatting back and forth with them a little. Got my schedule, and figured out where my classes are, but I will have a lot of exploring to do once I get on campus. Its very spread out and hilly. Lots of and lots of stairs. Good news for my legs and butt! haha. That's all for now, but you'll hear from me once I'm moved in! Here are some pictures!

Flying over the clouds and fog on my way to Texas!

Thought this looked really cool.

Snowy Mountains!

Fun extremely hilly road.

Down the street from my cousins house.


My home for the past week. Thanks to Connie and Oscar :)

Lots of critters out here right in the backyard!

♥Chantal

4 comments:

  1. You are a great story teller Chantal :) I love the photos too! Can't wait to hear more from ya'll! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! That second picture you took... the one you said looked really cool... I took that SAME picture on my plane ride!!!!!!!!! Well, at least it looks like the same exact place... weeeeeird. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! Sounds fun. I can't wait to hear stories. Get in the music scene and meet all those country singers!!! haha :)
    kate reeves

    ReplyDelete
  4. amy, it was on the way to dallas so it probably was the same place :)

    ReplyDelete

Please sign your comment so I know who you are! :)